British Museum's Portable Antiques Scheme Finds Identified
An illustrated guide to metal detecting and archaeological finds
by Dr Kevin Leahy and Dr Michael Lewis.
Possibly the most comprehensive finds identification book ever published.
Discover the years of work by the British Museum and Portable Antiques Scheme in identifying and photographing hundreds of artefacts from the stone age to the 20th century in this beautifully illustrated hardback book.
It is organised on a thematic basis with similar objects from different ages grouped together, showing how they changed over time and helping you identify its age.
The book is in hardback A4 format with 360 pages featuring 1200 objects and 2900 photographs
- Dress Fittings
- Brooches, Buckles, Buckle Clasps, Strap-Ends, Buttons, Button and Loop Fasteners, Toggles, Cufflinks, Pins, Hooked Tags and Dress Hooks, Beads, Lace Tags, Sleeve Clasps, Girdle Hangers.
- Dress pendants, Badges, Finger Rings, Bracelets and Arm Rings, Torcs, Ear Rings, Bodkins, Staff Terminals.
- Personal Care
- Combs, Tweezers, Ear Scoops, Nail Cleaners, Cosmetic Mortars, Razors, Mirrors, Chatelaines, Dental Implements, Wig Curlers.
- Religion and Belief
- Ampullae, Bullae, Figurines, Crucifixes and Crosses, Reliquaries, Statues, Monumental Brasses, Votive Models and Miniature Objects.
- Literacy and Learning
- Book Fittings, Seal Matrices, Seal Boxes, Writing Implements, Wax Spatulae, Parchment Prickers, Aestels, Inscribed Objects, Sundials.
- Domestic Life
- Household and Furnishings: Locks and Keys, Padlocks, Decorative Fittings, Fire Steels and Strike-a-Lights, Candlesticks and Candle Holders, Lamp Hangers. Food and Drink: Cauldrons, Hanging Bowls, Pans and Skillets, Buckets, Ewers and Wine Jugs, Mortars, Knives, Whetstones, Spoons, Chafing Dishes, Taps, Tankards. Pastimes and Entertainment: Toys, Gaming Pieces and Dice, Pipes, Pipe Tampers, Musical Instruments, Bells.
- Tools and Manufacture
- Axes, Adzes, Axe Hammers, Perforated Implements, Flint Implements, Metal Tools, Metalworking Tools, Die Stamps, Moulds, Ingots, Casting Waste. Textile Working: Spindle Whorls, Needles, Thimbles, Loom Weights, Pin Beaters, Weaving Combs, Weaving Battens, Scissors and Shears, Linen Smoothers, Textile Dressing. Agriculture: Ploughs, Querns, Sickles.
- Trade and Commerce
- Purses, Coins (Iron Age, Roman, Early Medieval, Anglo-Saxon, Medieval, Post Medieval, Early Modern), Coin Weights, Tumbrels, Balances, Weights, Jettons, Tokens, Cloth Seals.
- Horses and Transport
- Horseshoes, Spurs, Saddles, Stirrups, Bridles and Bridle Bits, Strap Fittings, Harness Pendants, Vehicle Fittings, Terrets and Linch Pins.
- Warfare and Hunting
- Spearheads, Arrowheads, Daggers and Dirks, Rapiers, Swords, Chapes, Maces, Battleaxes, Shields, Helmets, Armour, Firearms and Gun Related Finds, Hunting and Hawking.
At LP we like to keep things simple. You can choose to have your order shipped to you the next working day OR use our Local Pickup service.
Collect Mon-Fri 10am-4pm from our warehouse (18 Orchard Business Park, RG20 4SY
1. When you arrive call 01635 597975 and we will bring your order to you
2. Have your order number and Surname to hand
3. We verify your order & place in your vehicle or a safe distance from you
If you are spending less than £50.00 the delivery cost is £3.95
If you are spending over £50.00 the delivery cost is FREE!
Your order will be dispatched on a DPD Next Working Day service. With DPD you will also receive full tracking information and a 1 hour delivery window on the day.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.